Friday, 1 November 2013

Crimson Darkness (Crimson Series #2)

Today's the day my friends when Novel-Worms is the host of the blog tour (28th Oct-3rd Nov) to promote Crimson Darkness, the second book in Crimson Series. Before we go for interview and review, a little info about the authors and the book. 

Author Bio: Amos Cassidy - a team of two. Amos is a 29 year old Diva and Cassidy a 36 year old mum of three.
Aside from a passion for writing and a love of reading they also share an addiction to coffee, love anything Joss Whedon and are constantly playing tug of war over Jensen Ackles.
They have been writing together for four years and are currently working on the third book in their Crimson Series. 


Crimson Darkness Blurb:

London is in the grip of an unnatural darkness. Rose is in the grasp of an unrelenting power and Raven and Thistle, along with their supernatural allies, are battling to survive and find a way to restore their home city.

For the fey, the song remains the same. They must return the power to Faerie or die. Unfortunately for them, the task has been superseded by an even more important one - help save Earth or perish along with it!

For Rose, the stakes are even higher as she is forced to make a terrible deal that will damn her if she does and damn her if she doesn’t. 

Now enemies must work together as allies if they are to save their 
worlds from an ancient threat…

Excerpt:

A soft knock at the door interrupted her thoughts.  “What?” she called.
“It’s me. Gabriel.  Can I come in?”
“No!”
The door opened and Gabriel stepped into the room closing it softly behind him.  Thistle was immediately on her feet glaring at him, hands on hips.  “Let me guess, no one’s ever said no to you before have they?”
“I just wanted to make sure that you were okay.”
“Well, you’ve seen me. I’m okay. Now get out.” She pointed to the door.
Gabriel sighed.  “You’re not okay, Thistle. You’ve just lost the two people closest to you.”
Thistle felt her temper flare. “So you’ve come to rub it in have you?”
Gabriel looked taken aback. He exhaled in exasperation and raked a hand through his hair.  “Look, I’m not very good at this.  I just wanted to say I’m sorry and…and I’m here if you need me.  I am your superior and it’s my job to provide counsel in times like these.”
She couldn’t believe it. He was playing the superiority card again. After everything that had happened, that was happening; he couldn’t get off his high horse for one minute and show some humanity. Instead he wanted to counsel her!
“Get out.” Her voice was low, dangerous.
“Thistle-”
“Get OUT!” She flew at him, pushing him with all her might.  “Get out get out get out!” she punched him in the chest, slapped at him, kicked him.  “I don’t need you, I don’t fucking need anybody! I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m…” the tears came again then, hot and salty burning a trail down her face.  Strong arms wrapped themselves around her. She resisted at first, tried to pull away but he was stronger and in that moment more determined. She was suddenly so tired. All the fight had drained out of her and she found herself pressed against his hard chest, his arms like bands of comforting steel holding her upright.
“It’s okay, I’m here. Let me be here,” he crooned soothingly, his lips close to her ear, face pressed to the side of her head. He was like a big muscular teddy bear, offering comfort.  Her arms moved as if of their own accord until she was hugging him back, her hands pressed against his shoulder blades.  She allowed the tears to flow, her heart to break.
After what seemed like an eternity, she slowly pulled back until she was staring at his shirt, stained with her tears.
A finger caressed her jaw line, stopped at her chin and tilted her face up until she was looking into warm amber eyes. 
Gabriel’s expression was soft, unguarded. He dropped his chin so his forehead was pressed against hers.  “Okay?” He whispered softly.
She wasn’t sure what made her do it.  Maybe it was a vulnerability that a culmination of the lack of moonlight, the loss of her friends and the warmth of those honey eyes had wrought. Or maybe it was those perfectly formed luscious lips only an inch away from hers. Whatever the reason she pushed up on her toes and pressed her lips against his. It was meant as a gesture of thanks, at least that was what she told herself and she pulled away after a second. She studied him boldly, his lips were parted, his expression dazed. Shit, she’d probably scared the crap out of him.
“Sorry.”
“Are you?” His voice was husky, sexy.
Their eyes remained locked for the longest moment; a moment in which she allowed herself to feel every point of contact between their bodies.  Her fingers against the hard ridges of his shoulder blades, her chest pressed against the muscled planes of his, the heat from his thighs seeping into hers.
“No,” she said softly. 
The corners of his eyes crinkled in a smile and his lips descended to meet hers.
The earth shook and a siren ripped through the air.
They jumped apart.
“What the hell was that?” Thistle stood hand on heart.
Gabriel was already at the door. “The shield’s been breached!” he called over his shoulder as he disappeared out the door. 

Okay confession time: I love books and I love to review them but Author Interviews are kinda becoming highlights of the blog tours. This couldn't have been possible without the cooperation of amazing authors of amazing books. Without further ado, I present to you "Interview with the Vampire Authors; Amos and Cassidy". (Since, I am confessing, you all guessed it right, I am a dork!)

1) Was it difficult to get published? Did you ever thought to just quit it?

Cassidy: We didn’t really try that many publishers. We were so focused on writing and the fact we could self publish was enough for a while. Nevermore Press were like a breath of fresh air and when we heard about them we just knew they were the ones. Luckily they thought we were a good fit and now we are part of their family.  If we did try going down the traditional publishing route I have no doubt we would have encountered problems as we, like most indie authors, write cross genre fiction. Self publishing, or an independent publisher, were the best way forward for us personally.

Amos: We’ll never quit it. There are those times when you feel down – in whatever form they come in – but the passion we have for writing pushes everything else away and makes us two very happy bunnies. It is like oxygen to us. We need it.

2) Writing was always your passion or you just tumbled on it?

Cassidy: I always loved to read and writing my own stories just seemed to follow naturally. I started writing short stories at a very young age. It was only a few years ago however that I attempted a novel.

Amos: Same for me. I’ve always loved to get lost in stories – whether that is reading them or creating them. It’s the best!

3) Is it difficult to separate yourself with your characters?

Cassidy: Um…sometimes. When we write we get into our characters heads completely, we ask ourselves – would the character say this/do this? If so why? What is their motivation? For a while we become that character and allow ourselves to feel what they feel. There have been times when I have been writing an emotional scene and have found myself going all teary eyed.

Amos: Yes, it is. It can get very emotional sometimes when writing them. They are always on our minds and are so alive and real in our heads.

4) Do you ever feel like you can't write another word?

Cassidy: I think all authors go through that phase. For me its just after I’ve finished writing a novel. I think, that’s it, I’m having a break. But then a couple of days later I’m thinking about my next project.

Amos: The brain is always switched on and buzzing. After we finish a novel, there is that ‘take a break’ phase, but that doesn’t last long. I just want to get back on the wagon and tell some more stories.

5) How does it feel like reading a) good review b) and a bad one?

Cassidy: A good review feels fantastic. A bad one feels crappy. What I do is leave it a while and then re-read the bad review to find the constructive criticism. A well written review is never bad. A well written review can give you important feedback on improving your work. Unfortunately there will be the odd review that will give you nothing to work on. Every author has had them, the review that trashes the book but gives no valuable feedback. When it comes to those, I simply ignore them. There is nothing else you can do.  Not everyone is going to like what you have to offer.

Amos: Well said, Cassidy!

6) What was the first complement for your writing you ever got and from whom?

Cassidy: My high school English teacher complimented me on my short story for class and made me read it out loud.

Amos: From a teacher in high school, also. It was a crazy fantasy/comedy short story.

Last but in no way least, "The Final Verdict"

Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
Rating: 4/5

I love prologues. I think of them as windows, a little sneak peek, a taster of what to expect. When buying books - in an inhuman struggle to not judge a book by it's cover - I lay my judgement, my final verdict on the basis of the prologue.

I don't exactly know why but I have a weird fascination with diary entries,  letters, or anything to be frank which have this almost factual air about it, anything which starts with day and date. It feels almost like reading a report, going through fact files, something that's public but at the moment it's "Just for my Eyes" :-) Hence, loved the prologue. Was a wee-bit disappointed that the whole novel was not in the same pattern but the story made up for it.

Great writing, not to over-praise but I personally believe that even the most unimaginative person will feel that he is watching a movie. Without even realizing, the words turn into scenes which made me a very, very happy reader. Well that and "Blood and Shredded entrails spilled to the ground".

This is everything you want from a book titled Crimson Darkness: supernatural creatures, making life altering decisions, fighting to save your life and Oh yeah....Save the Earth. It's definitely more "Darker" than Crimson Midnight with the humans in London getting Slaughtered and all! Something that every sequel should have - new characters, new species, new couples to cheer for and never ending twists and turns and a make-you-crazy-waiting cliffhanger - is all here and much more. It's not basic Vampire, werewolf, girl stuck in Love triangle stuff. It's meaner, edgier and will make you look out of your window no matter where you are and wonder, "What's out there?"

XOXO
Arushi Raj 

Darn, almost forgot,
Social Media links:


  
Blogs:




Book buy links:



Once again,
XOXO
Arushi Raj

Oh no, what the hell is wrong with me today!

I know it's a crime of highest order to forget giveaway but, but, but, it's better to be late than never. So here we go,

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Hopefully for the last time (fingers crossed),
XOXO
Arushi Raj

No comments:

Post a Comment